- Brother-Captain Gaius – Space Marine Captain, digital weapons, artificer armour, jump pack, power weapon, bolt pistol, melta bombs
- Squad Lucianus – Assault squad (5), power weapon, melta bombs
- Sternguard Squad Severinus – Sternguard (5), 5 combi-melta guns, power fist, drop pod
- Aquiline – Land Speeder Storm, multi-melta
- Squad Ulixes – Tactical Squad (10), flamer, missile launcher, melta bombs, plasma pistol, power weapon
- Squad Vorenus – Tactical Squad (10), meltagun, missile launcher, combi-melta gun, power fist, drop pod
- Squad Gabriel – Tactical Squad (10), flamer, missile launcher, melta bombs, power weapon, drop pod
- Squad Artorius – Tactical Squad (5), storm bolter, power fist
- Llamrei – Razorback (lascannon, twin-linked plasma gun
- Squad Castiel – Scout Squad (5), power weapon, melta bombs
- Squad Telion – Scout Squad (5), Sgt. Telion, 4 sniper rifles
- Brother Constantinus – Venerable Dreadnought, heavy flamer, Lucius pattern drop pod (IA)
- Terminator Squad Lotharius – Assault Terminators (5), 4 lightning claws, thunder hammer and storm shield
- Diomedes – Land Raider Prometheus (IA), extra armour, multi-melta
- Invictus – Land Raider Crusader, extra armour, multi-melta
- Leontius – Predator, 2 lascannons
- Eugenius – Whirlwind
- Lord General Drake, commander-in-chief of Battlegroup Wyvern – Company Command Squad, Straken, medic, standard bearer, bodyguard, two flamers, chimera with heavy flamer and multi-laser
- Paxila IX, canoness commander of the Order of the Revenant Maiden’s St. Arkham convent – Saint Celestine (Codex: Witch Hunters)
- Enginseer Rodan – Techpriest Enginseer, 3 servitors
- Confessor Bastable, 44th St. Arkham – Priest, eviscerator
- Borgez’s Inquisitorial Agent – Guardsman Marbo
- Nemesis Coven, Psykana Auxilia – Psyker Battle Squad, 5 Sanctioned Psykers, overseer
- 8th Kasrkin – 6 Stormtroopers, bolter, power weapon, 2 melta guns
- Gloominwald Ogryn Auxilia – Ogryn Squad, 3 ogryns and BONE Head
- Cadian 129th Grenadiers– Veteran squad, power fist, 3 plasma guns, Grenadiers
- 44th St. Arkham sharpshooters – Veteran squad, lascannon, two snipers, Forward Sentries
- Order of the Revenant Maiden, St. Arkham convent – Battle Sisters (10), melta gun, flamer, frag and krak grenades, veteran superior (Book of St. Lucius, power weapon)
- Lt. Blake, 44th St. Arkham – Platoon command squad, bolter, heavy bolter
- Squad Boxer – Infantry squad, autocannon, grenade launcher, power weapon, commissar with power weapon
- Squad Coleridge – Infantry squad, autocannon, grenade launcher, power weapon
- Platoon fire support – 3 mortar teams
- Platoon fire support – 3 autocannon teams
- 861st Krieg Lancers – 6 Death Riders (IA), power weapon
- Hell’s Breath, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Banewolf, hull multi-melta
- Arrow Squadron – Leman Russ Squadron, Anathema, St. Arkham 1st Armoured (Leman Russ Demolisher, multi-melta sponsons, heavy flamer), Storm Giant, St. Arkham 1st Armoured (Leman Russ Battle Tank, heavy flamer, pintle heavy stubber), Cadian 8th desig. unknown (Leman Russ Battle Tank, lascannon, heavy bolter sponsons)
- St. Arkham PDF AA – Hydra battery, Hydra with camo netting
At last, battle eight of the Invasion of St. Arkham – a 2750 point game. I had trouble getting my list together this time because I ran out of models and points at 2,680 to make up a legal Force Organization Chart.
We thought of a few possibilities: allow me an Apocalypse stratagem, maybe use my new Rangers as sneaky xenos with their own agenda, but eventually we agreed I could just take an extra Elite slot. After all, the invasion is almost accomplished, so the Arkhamites would be bringing out their last ditch guns. I filled the slot with a small squad of psykers.
This report may be a little longer than usual because the game was pretty huge (look at my list! It’s as long as my arm). I’ve tried my best not to waffle on though, and the game was very exciting . . .
The mission was Vanguard, which meant the marines didn’t deploy, they arrived. All of their infantry also counted as scoring. In the centre of the table we made a wrecked baneblade the central objective, and the other two objectives were in my deployment zone.
The Ultramarines landed. Constantinus the dreadnought and the sternguard squad Severinus came down in front of Arrow Squadron, and the land raiders and Captain Gaius raced down the side. Seeing the threat the astartes veterans posed to my armour, Canoness Paxila rocketed down from her perch in a damaged hab-block, joined up with the Ogryns, and they charged the sternguard. The canoness and the abhumans massacred the marines before they could bring their five(!) melta guns to bear. In return, Constantinus assaulted Arrow Squadron, tearing into the ponderous russes. He smashed the demolisher cannon off Anathema, wrecked the Cadian Russ and immobilized Storm Giant. The Order of the Revenant Maiden turned their melta-gun on his back but missed. Then Anathema accomplished what the sisters couldn’t, exploding the venerable dreadnought at point-blank range with a mult-melta blast.
All of my reserves then arrived at once. Squad Castiel outflanked my force and cut down the Cadian grenadiers, taking my plasma weapons out of the battle. I had to stop the raiders, so Hell’s Breath moved into the open and managed to immobilize one raider with its multi-melta. The Kasrkin weren’t so lucky. Borgez’s Inquisitorial Agent used her personal teleporter to appear next to the assault marines and flattened them with her explosive device, including Captain Gaius! The stunned Utramarine forces nearby responded, vaporizing the assassin and then butchering the stranded Kasrkin in revenge.
The platoon turned and on the orders of Lord General Drake opened fire, slaying the scouts. Aquila banked to the side and exploded the Banewolf.
The rest of the marine assault pods landed. Three combat squads of tactical marines spilled out next to the centre objective, so the Ogryns barrelled into them with shotguns blazing. The land raider Diomedes rolled forward and was immobilized on the edge of the crater the platoon was in. The assault Terminators jumped out and in one brutal charge destroyed the whole platoon. Bastable the priest killed one of them with his eviscerator but then lost his nerve and fled the battle. Marines leapt out of the other raider and moved on the objective the dead platoon had been guarding. Lord General Drake’s transport was exploded by a melta-blast and his stunned retinue were finished off by rapid bolter fire.
By this time enginseer Rodan had repaired both tanks. Anathema could use its demolisher cannon again and Storm Giant could move. The St. Arkham mortars bravely charged the marines and pulled them away from the objective they were approaching. Drake also slammed into them and killed seven before he and the guardsmen were brought down.
Seeing the battle coming to a head, the sisters took cover under the baneblade objective. Canoness Paxila charged into another approaching combat squad and cut them all down. Lt. Blake broke cover and made for the third objective. My sharpshooters immobilized the speeder and tore off its melta weapon, and the St. Arkham PDF Hydra rolled through the hab-block and positioned itself to protect the Lt.
The two repaired MBTs approached the land raider, the enginseer shadowing them. The pair of marines who had survived Drake’s charge and the following sniper fire retreated into the immobilized land raider to claim the objective.
Paxila jump-packed into another combat squad, the last unengaged one, and again killed them all with righteous anger. The predator Leontius turned its guns on her and the canoness was brought low by a las-cannon burn. She crawled away, regathering her strength . . .
The marines finally got the better of the Ogryns, and one squad moved towards the baneblade while the surviving Sgt of another tried to assault Storm Giant as it moved to contest the objective with the land raider. Fire rained down on the tanks but the tech-priest kept them moving, and he even slew the nearby marine Sgt. with his plasma pistol. The russes killed the rest of the marines contesting the baneblade, leaving the Sisters the only infantry near it. Unfortunately for them, it was surrounded by drop-pods.
Canoness Paxila staggered to her feet, but too late to do any more damage. The battle was over, and the humble Lt. Blake still held his objective uncontested.
This game had a lot of great, tense moments. It was close too, I only won by one objective. I don’t know which was more instrumental for me, the Living Saint with her endless marine slaughtering (three combat squads!) or enginseer Rodan keeping those russes running. The Inquisitorial Agent (Marbo) didn’t hurt either.
The campaign is really close again, and now there’s only two games to go.
Result: Imperial Guard victory. Ultramarines 15 points, battlegroup Wyvern 12 points.