Well, I finished my Farseer, and I have to say I’m really stoked at how well she came out. I want my Iybraesil Eldar to look a bit different to most Eldar armies – more weathered and ancient-looking. I also wanted to get across the organic nature of Eldar technology. I think I managed it.
I also wanted to make the Farseer herself look eldritch and freaky, so I used bold and less realistic colours in places. I was going to paint bloody runes on her body but the blood-smeared hair and the scar on her leg came out so nicely that I decided not to push my luck! Sometimes I reckon you just have to abandon your plan if it no longer seems right.
I tried to mask the canopy with vegemite so I could do the freehand, but because I was using a lot of washes the vegemite just melted and uh . . . ended up being incorporated into the weathering. I really wanted the wraithbone to look like ancient, pitted bone. Basically it took a million washes in tan, brown and blue, and then at the end I dabbed little drops of very watery brown paint and blew on them so they ran backwards from the nose.
The last thing I did was grab a rough grade sand paper and just scrape it over the finished canopy. It was a bit nerve-wracking scraping sandpaper over something you just spent three hours painting but it was worth it I think.
You might also notice that the photos are a lot better than usual. That’s because I didn’t take them! They’re by Rhebeka Stangret.