At the close of the invasion, several small skirmishes took place as the defending troops fell back toward the Governor’s fortress. Lt. Col. Khazak of the Cadian 121st set a series of booby traps to the west of St. Arkham Cathedral to catch the Ultramarines off-guard and draw them into the open, but a breakdown in communications led to some elements of battlegroup Wyvern blundering into the area and mistaking the trapped ordnance for valuable salvage. The Ultramarines took advantage of the confusion to rout the misdirected Imperial Guard. Lord Felix Bock, ranking commissariat officer of battlegroup Wyvern, was severely wounded in the engagement by the famous Ultramarine marksman Telion.
– Extract from the “Official History of the Invasion of St. Arkham, 896M41”
- Brother-Captain Gaius – Space Marine Captain, digital weapons, artificer armour, jump pack, power weapon, bolt pistol, melta bombs
- Squad Lucianus – Assault squad (5), melta bombs, power weapon
- Aquiline – Land Speeder Storm, multi-melta
- Eamhair – Land Speeder Storm, heavy flamer
- Squad Ulixes – Tactical Squad (10), flamer, missile launcher, plasma pistol, power weapon, drop pod
- Squad Castiel – Scout Squad (5), power weapon, melta bombs
- Squad Peregrinus – Scout Squad (5), power weapon, melta bombs
- Squad Telion – Scout Squad (5), Sgt. Telion, 4 sniper rifles
- Brother Constantinus – Venerable Dreadnought, heavy flamer, drop pod
- Brother Thaddaeus – Dreadnought, 2 hunter-killer missiles, heavy flamer, Lucius pattern drop pod
- Eugenius – whirlwind
- Fidelis – whirlwind
- Leontius – Predator, heavy bolters
- Lord Commissar Felix Bock – bolter, power fist
- Gloominwald Ogryn Auxilia – Bone Ead, 3 Ogryns
- 8th Kasrkin – 5 Stormtroopers, bolter, power weapon, 2 melta guns
- Nemesis Coven, Psykana Auxilia – Psyker Battle Squad, 5 Sanctioned Psykers, overseer
- Cadian 129th – Veteran squad, power fist, 3 plasma guns, chimera with multi-laser and heavy flamer, Grenadiers
- 44th St. Arkham sharpshooters – Veteran squad, Bastonne, two snipers, Forward Sentries
- Lt. Blake, 44th St. Arkham – Platoon command squad, bolter, heavy bolter
- Squad Boxer – Infantry squad, grenade launcher, power weapon, melta bombs
- Squad Coleridge – Infantry squad, grenade launcher, power weapon, melta bombs
- Platoon fire support – 3 mortar teams
- Platoon fire support – 3 autocannon teams
- Hell’s Breath, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Banewolf, hull multi-melta
- Anathema, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Leman Russ Demolisher, multi-melta sponsons, heavy flamer
- Storm Giant, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Leman Russ Battle Tank, heavy flamer, pintle heavy stubber
It’s getting towards the end of the campaign. In fact, the war is all but over and all that remains is the huge Apocalypse bang that every good campaign needs to go out with. As you can see Jay and I both took unusual lists, to reflect the fact that this was a skirmish involving forward elements. There were certainly a lot of Ultramarine scouts staring me down. I really liked the look of this mission, as I love random brutality that ruins careful planning and makes you have to think on your feet. Unfortunately, I got what I wished for with this one!
We decided to alter the mission so that both attacker and defender could trigger the explosions. As luck would have it, most of the objectives I grabbed either exploded or were false objectives, and Jay managed, by the end of the game, to seize all the real ones and avoid getting blown up, all the while playing with a points penalty from last game. Basically I got totally smashed. It was one of those games where luck was against me all the way, I just couldn’t roll to save my guy’s lives. Sort of like what happened to Jay way back in Part IV, so it all evened out over time at least . . .
The main horror I remember was my Lord Commissar and Ogryns charging a squad of scouts and being killed without causing a single casualty. The best thing that happened for me was my sharpshooter lascannon team exploded one of the Ultramarine whirlwinds on the first shot of the game. It was all downhill from there. Jay played a tight game and just sort of swept my guys away, taking the objectives as he went. After a bit of back and forth, the marines now have a clear lead on campaign points.
Things have been really busy in real life lately (I’m starting to wonder if they’ll ever not be), so it might be a little while until the final battle. Stay tuned though . . . there’ll be at least one Titan, and some special rules my opponent cooked up. I’ll make sure to break it into a few parts for easier reading.
Result: Space Marine major victory. Ultramarines 20 points, battlegroup Wyvern 12 points.
++Last remaining resistance gathering at capital —- Xenos Orks sighted and confirmed: Blood Axe mercenary clan —- In seeking to save his own life Governor has only compounded his crimes —- Justice must be swift and unrelenting++
– Intercepted Astartes Ultramarines Astropathic transmission, St. Arkham system, 896M41