. . . decryption complete
896M41 St. Arkham Dispatches: Battlegroup Wyvern 3 Batt., Lt. Col. Winter Psykana Auxilia commanding.
Attn: Lord General Drake, HQ
From: Lt. Col. Winter, commander Psykana Auxilia Nemesis Coven
Lt. Col. Khazak Cadian 129th reports Ultramarines advancing on town of Coldwood. Recon confirms.
Psykana Auxilia Nemesis Coven located 14 clicks from town.
Lt. Col. Winter assuming command, co-ordinating defence of Coldwood with elements of St. Arkham 44th, 673rd Krieg Lancers, Cadian 129th and SP Nemesis Coven.
Have dispatched Lt. Col. Khazak with intel. to rendezvous with HQ, requested assistance from 8th Kasrkin.
The Emperor Protects.
- Brother-Captain Gaius – Space Marine Captain, digital weapons, artificer armour, jump pack, power weapon, bolt pistol, melta bombs
- Brother Constantinus – Venerable Dreadnought, multi-melta, heavy flamer, extra armour, Lucius pattern drop pod
- Squad Lucianus – Assault squad (5), flamer, combat shield, melta bombs, power weapon
- Squad Vorenus – Tactical Squad (10), meltagun, multi-melta, power fist, drop pod
- Squad Gabriel – Tactical Squad (10), flamer, missile launcher, power weapon, melta bombs, drop pod
- Squad Castiel – Scout Squad (5), melta bombs, power weapon
- Aquiline – Land Speeder Storm, heavy flamer
- Phrixus – Land Speeder Typhoon
- Nicephorus – Whirlwind
- Severinus – Whirlwind
- Leontius – Predator, heavy bolter sponsons
- Lt. Col. Winter, Psykana Auxilia – Primaris Psyker
- Captain Harlock, HI, 44th St. Arkham – Company Command squad, power weapon, lascannon, sniper, medic
- Psykana Auxilia, Nemesis Coven – Psyker Battle squad, 9 Sanctioned Psykers, chimera with heavy flamer and multi-laser
- 8th Kasrkin – 7 Stormtroopers, bolter, power weapon, 2 melta guns
- Lt. Blake, 44th St. Arkham – heavy bolter, power weapon
- Squad Boxer – Infantry squad, autocannon, grenade launcher, power weapon, commissar with power weapon
- Squad Coleridge – Infantry squad, autocannon, grenade launcher, power weapon
- Platoon fire support – 3 autocannon teams
- 129th Cadian Grenadiers – Veteran squad, power fist, 3 plasma guns, chimera with heavy flamer and multi-laser, Grenadiers
- 861st Krieg Lancers – 6 Death Riders, power weapon
- Hell’s Breath, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Banewolf, hull multi-melta
- Anathema, St. Arkham 1st Armoured – Leman Russ Demolisher, multi-melta sponsons, heavy flamer
If you’ve just tuned in, my friend Jay and I are playing through a campaign borrowed from Sign of the Aquila. We just fought the third battle in the Ultramarines invasion of the shrine world of St. Arkham, the home of my Imperial Guard regiment.
I changed my list quite a bit this time around. I’ve never been really happy with the way my mechanized melta-vets have performed. Despite internet wisdom, I find they just don’t have enough reach and resilience to take out more than one enemy AV before dying. I suspect you need more than one squad to be effective but whatever, I’m over them.
I’m determined to find a way to get melta into the back of my opponent’s lines that works better for me, and I thought I’d try out storm troopers. I know, I know, they’re expensive and everyone says they suck, but two melta guns, carapace armour, and accurate deepstriking for fewer points than my mech-vets seems worth a try. So I gave my Ogryns a rest, changed up my anti-tank vets for grenadiers with plasma guns, and added the Kasrkin and a psyker battle squad. I decided to go with a bit of a psyker theme and broke out old Lt. Col. Winter too. I also fielded my Rough Riders as Kreig Death Riders using Imperial Armour rules for the first time ever . . . and it was good. Continue reading